The growing number of options for grocery delivery. Plus food events galore, including last call for Burger Battle!
There are times when it’s really too much trouble to go out for food, and it‘s obviously even more trouble to go shopping, so “What’s for dinner?” someone annoying shouts? The internet, you reply! Fortunately, we’ve evolved into WiFi-connected higher beings who can yell out into the air and lo!–Groceries are delivered less than two hours later.
I didn’t realize there were so many services that will grocery shop for you and deliver yummy things same-day (I happen to like food shopping). And did you know that private services have been shopping and delivering to the resort hotels for years? Why should tourists get all the good stuff?
Instacart will pick up milk and bread (and stuff) from Total Wine, Costco, Publix (including liquors) and Whole Foods. Walmart also delivers through Uber. Shipt can get you shipped from Target, Winn-Dixie, ABC and Fresh Market, and Amazon Prime Now will fill your fridge within 2 hours from a host of Amazonian vendors and Whole Foods. Envoy, the online concierge service for seniors and their families, delivers from Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Target. Discount king Aldi has a “coming soon” sign hanging outside their Instacart page.
As the sun moves closer to the Earth (yeah, I know). . .As the sun APPEARS to move closer to the Earth and the nights get longer, what better time to experience a whole horde of chefs cooking for a cause? Which means it’s Food Event Season!
* Okay, burger fanatics, this is it, last call for Orlando magazine's 2018 Orlando Burger Battle! There are still some tix available (VIP will be sold out shortly), so now is the time. Eighteen burger-slingin' participants will vie for the title of Best Burger. There will be beer from Crooked Can Brewing Company, music by The Supervillains and Oklahoma Stackhouse; and a performance by the supergroup of Ricky Ly, Maxine Earhart, Wendy Lopez, Jim Colbert, The Food Guys and ME, as The Judges. Also, the Hamburglar will be standing outside drooling (this may not be true). Get your tickets at orlandoburgerbattle.com. And enter the code “PTK’’ for a 20 percent discount! A portion of the proceeds goes to Runway to Hope.
* The International Food & Drink Festival at Lake Eola on Sunday, September 30, offers cuisine from Puerto Rico, Colombia, Italy, Spain, Chile, Cuba, Dominican Republic, the Middle East, India, Venezuela, Thailand–and it’s all free. Korean fusion from Vinny & Kory food truck, Andean treats from Taste of Peru, Caribbean treats from Mango Kings and more. Proceeds benefit BASE Camp Children's Cancer Foundation.
* The 2nd Annual Homestead Harvest happens on October 26 at Grande Lake’s Whisper Creek Farm. Chef Scott Pizzo and the Highball & Harvest team will be joined by Iron Chef Participant Todd Richards; Elek Kovacs of The Osprey Tavern; James Petrakis of The Ravenous Pig; Andrew Yeo of The Miami Beach EDITION; local heroes Norman Van Aken and Andres Mendoza of Norman’s; Camilo Velasco of 1921 by Norman Van Aken; Brandon McGlamery of Luma on Park; Kevin Fonzo of The Kevin Fonzo Foundation; and a host of Florida’s Ritz-Carlton and JW Marriott chefs including Paula DaSilva; George Fistrovich; Sheldon Millett; John Janucik; and Stephane Cheramy. The evening will benefit two non-profits: Fleet Farming and Free Mulch by Frog Song Organics. Tickets start at $135. We were there last year and it was a superior night under the stars.
* On November 3, Cows ‘n Cabs takes over the Central Park tent in Winter Park, benefiting After School All-Stars Orlando and Elevate Orlando. More than 25 restaurants including the entire 4Rivers family (4 Rivers Smokehouse, The Coop, The Sweet Shop, 4R Barbacoa Cantina), plus 1921 by Norman Van Aken, Dixie Dharma, Foxtail Coffee Co., K Restaurant, Pharmacy, Tamale Co., Tapa Toro, Taverna Opa, The Glass Knife, Terralina Crafted Italian, Pizza Bruno, Buttermilk Bakery and more. Tickets begin at $120.
* The James Beard Celebrity Chef Tour rolls into the Four Seasons Resort Orlando on December 1, and I mention it early because this will sell out. The $235 abbondanza is packed with outstanding talent: host chef Fabrizio Schenardi welcomes Angel Betancourt (The Ocean Club, Bahamas), Yuhi Fujinaga (Morimoto Asia), Chad Johnson (Haven and Élevage, Tampa), and Rich Rosendale (Roots 657, Leesburg, VA).