Letter from the Editor: Tears of Joy
Working up a sweat for great food.
There’s nothing like a good cry.
I had one recently at Taste of Chengdu, the hidden gem of a restaurant on West Colonial Drive. They were happy tears, mind you, as I thoroughly enjoyed a bowl of wontons enhanced by spices imported from Chengdu, the capital of China’s Sichuan province. I also entered a state of mild gustatory hyperhidrosis (the official term for sweating caused by eating spicy food), as the bald spot on the back of my head reacted favorably.
Taste of Chengdu is one of dozens of food adventures that dining critic Joseph Hayes explores in this issue, our second annual guide to the exciting, unusual and wonderful culinary experiences that are hiding in plain sight. There also are profiles of fascinating food personalities, a history lesson here and there, secret menus, road trips and much more. So please pass the biscuits and brains masala, and begin your taste odyssey today.
Elsewhere, in a special 14-page section, fashion writer Maddy Zollo Rusbosin explores the art of accessorizing—from handbags and jewelry to shoes and sunglasses. Jennie Hess catches up with deaf singer-songwriter Mandy Harvey, who made such a big splash last year on America’s Got Talent. Sarah Kinbar Ristorcelli looks at how HGTV shows are influencing home buyers’ desires. And in her Extra Pulp column, Laura Anders Lee relives her harrowing search for quality babysitters. (It ended happily).
And now for a bit of boasting: Your City Magazine recently won 11 awards from the Florida Magazine Association in the group's annual Charlie Awards competition. The honors included two first-place Charlie Awards for illustration and cover design for the March 2017 Community Angels cover and the May 2017 Dining Awards front, with the magazine sweeping the category for Best Traditional Illustration. We also won two awards for writing excellence.
- Best Traditional Illustration, Consumer Magazines, 20K+ Circulation: Charlie Award, Jennifer Maravillas for Community Angels cover. Silver Award: Mary Kate McDevitt for Food Adventures cover and package. Bronze Award: Kim Panella for Dining Awards cover.
- Writing Excellence, Best Feature, Consumer Magazines, 20K+ Circulation: Silver Award, Michael McLeod for “The Healing,’’ a look back at the year since the Pulse tragedy.
- Writing Excellence, Best Department, All Consumer Magazines: Bronze Award, Joseph Hayes for Dine articles “Tale of the Taco”; “A Baker's Dozen”; and “Third Time, Another Charm.”
- Best Design, Cover, Consumer Magazines, 20K+ Circulation: Charlie Award, Kim Panella for Dining Awards cover. Silver Award, Mary Kate McDevitt for Food Adventures cover.
- Best Design, Typography, All Consumer Magazines: Silver Award, Kim Panella for Dining Awards cover.
- Best Photography, Department Image, Consumer Magazines, 20K+ Circulation: Silver Award, Roberto Gonzalez for “Story of a Butcher.’’
- Best Advertisement, Self-Promotional, All Consumer Magazines: Charlie Award, Denis Vargas for Countdown to Burger Battle.
- Best Digital, Online Video, All Consumer Magazines: Bronze Award, Michael McLeod and Joseph Hanna for “Billy Collins.’’