Turn back the hands of time with a variety of exfoliants that work from head to toe.
Skin plays some dirty tricks as we age. Collagen levels drop off, leading to sagging, and our skin-cell turnover rate slows down dramatically, going from every 7-14 days in our teens to some 30-40 days in our 40s and 50s. Given our skin produces more than 5 billion cells every day, it’s even more important to exfoliate as we age. Dead cells left sitting on the skin’s surface can cause a flat, dull, scaly appearance.
“Exfoliating increases that cell turnover rate and helps build collagen, the elastin that keeps our skin firm, and it helps smooth fine lines and wrinkles,” says Debbie Safra, a medical aesthetician at Dr. Edward J. Gross’ Primera Day Spa & Salon in Lake Mary. “Everyone benefits from year-round exfoliation, especially men, who naturally have thicker, more porous skin with more sebaceous glands.”
Safra says there are two ways to exfoliate: “Manual, which includes all your scrubs, buffers, microdermabrasion and Clarisonic machines, and chemical, which are all your retinols and glycolics. They are stronger and actually break down the protein barrier holding these cells together. Retinols can even restructure the skin.” But not all products work the same. Salt crystals, Safra cautions, are OK for the body but not the face. They’re too abrasive, as are nuts and seeds, which can leave tiny cuts on the face that can lead to infection.
Here are some specially targeted exfoliants that can help your skin regain a youthful appearance from head to toe.
1. Forever Natural Bamboo & Jute Back Strap: Two-sided for greater cleansing, exfoliating and moisture absorption; $11, The Beauty Spot in College Park
2. The Beauty Spot Spa Bath Salt: Travel-size scrubs smooth skin and rejuvenate the senses; $5 each, The Beauty Spot in College Park
3. Pure Fiji Coconut Crème Scrub: Mango scrub gently exfoliates and moisturizes skin; $29, Euro Day Spa in Winter Park
4. Dead Sea Aromatic Mineral Body Treatment: Mineral-enriched salt-based body scrub quickly exfoliates to smooth and soften skin; $69.95, Premier By Dead Sea Premier in Altamonte Mall
1. Clarisonic Skin-Care Machine: Cleanses up to six times better than manual, exfoliates and improves skin tone; $185, Primera Day Spa & Salon in Lake Mary
2. Primera RetinolPlus 10x Serum: Boosts cell turnover to help form collagen for smoother, firmer, even-toned skin; $90, Primera Day Spa & Salon in Lake Mary
3. Dead Sea Facial Peel: Vital anti-aging Dead-Sea minerals effortlessly remove dead skin cells for smoother, more radiant skin; $129.95, Premier By Dead Sea Premier in Altamonte Mall
4. [comfort zone] Chrono-Reverser Gel: Antioxidant peeling formula reduces wrinkles, acne and signs of aging; $90, The Beauty Spot in College Park
5. Pevonia Ligne Spéciale Exfoliant Mousse: Gently exfoliates and polishes skin for a clean, smooth complexion; $24, Euro Day Spa in Winter Park
1. Bunglow 8 M.D. Scrub: Sugar shave and body scrub for men and women leaves a smoother shaving surface and helps prevent bumps and in-grown hairs; $41, The Beauty Spot in College Park
2. Feet First Spa Buffing Pad: Reusable, sanitizable buffer for safe, rapid-result exfoliations of rough skin and calluses; $6.50, Euro Day Spa in Winter Park
1. Pevonia Ligne Power Repair Youthful Lip Retinol Serum: Counteracts wrinkles and creases to redefine lip contour; $47, Euro Day Spa in Winter Park