Take care of your mug by grooming and shaving with quality skin- and hair-care products.
TAKE COVER: Makeup’s not just for women anymore. Men are now using it to smooth skin, fight aging, hide blemishes or scars, and camouflage redness or hyperpigmentation. From left: Cara Perfect Moisture serum, $33; concealer, $22; and mineral-based powder foundation, $37; Cara Cosmetics, Orlando; caracosmetics.com
Real men don’t cry—they moisturize. Even guys who would seem to define stereotypical masculinity have opened their minds and wallets to grooming products formulated to make them look and feel better. Locally, the boom in men’s grooming can be seen at spas with male-specific treatments, old-fashioned barbershops like Kennedy’s All-American Barber Club and Floyd’s 99 Barbershop, which offer straight-razor shaves with hot-towel treatments, and a new Mall at Millenia boutique, The Art of Shaving, which sells only men’s shaving products. Here are some products that’ll help you look your best:
1. A brush with excellence starts with the Pure Badger Shaving Brush, $55, The Art of Shaving, The Mall at Millenia.
2. Hydrate and improve skin texture, and reduce pore size and imperfections with Miracle Skin Transformer SPF 20 Men, $48; miracleskintransformer.com
3. Soothe and protect sensitive skin with Neutrogena Men Sensitive Skin Shave Cream, $5.99, available at several mass merchandisers
4. Cleanse, soothe and revitalize with emerginC Men Liquid Gel Cleanser, $27; emerginc.com
Improve circulation, repair damaged skin and prevent stiffening of collagen with emerginC Men Post-Shave Reinforcer, $47; emerginc.com
5. Trim your facial and head hair with the Philips Norelco Multigroom Grooming Kit, $39.99, Best Buy and Target
6. Have a clear conscience and clear skin with reSurface, $35, Organic Male OM4; om4men.com
7. Minimize scars with the intensive therapy of DNA Scar Therapy, $45, DNA EGF Renewal; dnaegfrenewal.com
A Cut Above the Rest
Hip modern looks, retro reinventions and easy wash-and-go styles are among the top trends in men’s hair fashions, says Sarah Pickar Sleeth, co-owner of Floyd’s 99, America’s Original Rock n’ Roll Barbershop, in Winter Park and Orlando. Here are some trendy hairstyles as shown by clients of Floyd’s 99 in Winter Park:
1. “HE” BANGS The Beatles look with a twist and side-sweeping bangs.
Teo Doucette, 30, real estate agent
2. FAUX HAWK Modern mohawk with short sides and long swept top.
Joe Price, 32, insurance sales
3. BUSINESSMAN’S SURFER CUT Long, layered shag with a windswept look.
Ben Kersenbrock, 31, chiropractor
4. CONTEMPORARY POMPADOUR Modernized flipped-back wave Elvis made famous.
Jamie Pope, 54, financial adviser
5. FULL HEAD SHAVE Super-close, straight-razor head shave.
Steve Bunnell, 36, general manager
Care for your new do with MITCH, Paul Mitchell’s new line of shampoos, conditioners and gels, $14-$19; available at several area locations, including Floyd’s 99 Barbershop, Orlando and Winter Park; mitchtheman.com
A Man Cave For One
Make your bathroom into your own private man cave by adding a built-in waterproof TV or a slick shaving mirror with a wireless, remote-control sound system.
You can look at a pretty picture besides yours every time you stand in front of your bathroom mirror (above). Built into Seura’s Enhanced Series—Vanishing Mirrors for Bathrooms is a 19-inch LCD TV that disappears when you turn it off. $3,999; seura.com
You may never get out of the shower if there’s a TV in it. The Hydra Waterproof TV (right) is built into tile and comes with a remote. Starting at $2,699; seura.com
You can shave and shower to digital sound with this fog-free shower mirror that doubles as a wireless speaker system. The Zadro iSing FM Radio (left) with digital wireless RF transmitter allows you to listen to your iPod, MP3, CD player and television, as well as stream from your PC. $119.99; zadroinc.com