It's Not Just Nuts and Dolts

I think it's a safe bet that most of us are fairly familiar with the cast of characters involved in the Casey Anthony case by now. You know, the ones who came into our living rooms and computers almost every day during the past couple of years. Since Tuesday, we've gotten a little more up close and personal with a few of Casey's past friends we only knew by name from transcripts and selective interviews. Thursday was a long day in the courtroom, so instead of reciting a blow-by-blow, play-by-play account of the day's events, I thought I'd throw some names out to think about. I mean, how much did we really know about Anthony Lazzaro before he was sworn in? All we knew, or thought we knew, was based on responses to law enforcement questions and a stack of photos from inside the now defunct Fusian Ultra Lounge, where he ran Friday night dance parties. Today, he lives back on Long Island. He earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Music Business and he's moved on with his life. From what I could tell in the courtroom and idle chatter in the hall, he's really got his act together. No doubt, Anthony Lazzaro was one of the main characters we couldn't wait to hear from, and he delivered. What do you think?
    Some of the witnesses for the state brought us a few aha moments. Yes, we remember those names! Some we may not recall all that well, but they now have faces and personalities and lives so distant from their once common bonds; the Fusian - where most of them hung out - and the ones that loom so large, Casey and Caylee . It was quite a social collection and it's nice to see they've moved on with their lives instead of remaining mired in the party days of youth. It's even nicer that they want only justice for the little girl lost.
    Let's see who's testified so far, besides Tony:
  • George Anthony
  • Melissa England
  • Troy Brown
  • Iassen Donov
  • Dante Salati
  • Christopher Stutz
  • Matthew Crisp
    Of course, I have my own opinions of some of them from seeing and hearing them inside the courtroom, but I want to know what you think, too. Any of them. All of them. I mean, I think it's safe to say that we know what it takes to push Judge Perry's buttons, and when we think of his wrath, we know who brings it best. Is Jose Baez solely responsible for all the woes that befall him? Does he deserve all those incantations from the judge? "Objection overruled!" Is he a cracker jack lawyer who needs a good whipping, or is he secretly as sly as a fox and we haven't seen his best yet?
    What about George? There's no doubt he's the fall guy, but does he deserve it? I mean, isn't there just something off about him? He was an officer of the law for almost 10 years. For several of them, he was a detective. I don't think it's extraordinary to think he should have known Casey wasn't working, yet he let it slip past him for a long, long time. Why? In one sense, maybe Baez was right. Why didn't he question Casey about the shed break-in? He knew she took his cans before, and on more than one occasion. The impression I'm getting is that there's some strange activity going on, but I can't put my finger on it. I know it's tough to live under a microscope, and for the most part it shouldn't be any of our business, but did Casey really grow up in a household of liars? Did Lee actually try to cop a feel?
    I have a feeling that by the end of this trial, the jury may be convinced that Casey had one messed up childhood. Will that change the outcome? Was Jose Baez shrewd when he came out swinging at the opening bell, ripping the Anthony family to shreds?
    Oh, and where did Frank George come from all of a sudden? Throughout the hearings, he was as quiet as a church mouse, but Whoa! He's become the most vocal prosecutor of late, and he's now at the top of my list.
    What about Cheney Mason? Is he really Foghorn Leghorn, or is he just a big city country boy, who's set out to intimidate state witnesses with his gritty charm?
    This is a perfect time to describe your thoughts on each person who's directly involved in the case, including ones yet to come, like Amy Huizenga and Annie Downing? Who will impact the case the most? Roy Kronk? Jesse Grund?

Comments, page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4  ··· 7 Next »
May 26, 2011 11:43 pm
 Posted by  guardianangel

I think Jesse Grund's testimony is going to make a big impact on this trial. I don't think he has ever stopped loving Casey. Casey told Jesse way back in 2005 that Lee tried to sexually molest her. When Casey told her mother about Lee, Cindy called her a whore. Jesse can attest to Cindy's domineering and her influence in helping to break up their engagement. Jesse was present when Casey had the seizure. He also can tell about Casey's drinking habits and that she was drunk on more than one occasion. Casey suggested to Jesse that they hit Annie up for some Xanax.

I shudder to think of Cindy Anthony taking the stand. Maybe Mark Lippman has been a good influence on her. My gosh, even Cindy has to feel a little sorry for George now. Maybe this is just what their marriage needed. It seems Casey caused a lot of rift in that household. George was trying to make Casey atone for her lying and stealing and Cindy covering for Casey to portray that All Amercican family.

Use a bit of reverse psychology and make us answer your questions, Dave? Now that is a touch of brilliance!!

May 26, 2011 11:48 pm
 Posted by  frankie

Good idea Dave. It will help to fill me and others in on some of the witnesses because as you know by now I can't get the trial on TV or on line. I look forward to hearing others impressions of these people connected to the case. I do get bits and pieces on NG and JVM. ( if I can stand all their yelling. Don't they know that they have microphones? )

I agree that something is a little off with George. He seems to expect respect from everyone. I'm not sure he deserves it but I do feel for him and Cindy. Their world as they knew it has come crashing down around them and I would not want to be in their shoes for one minute.

I have said all along that something is very fishy about Kronk. I don't know what his real involvement is but I don't think he's on the up and up.

May 27, 2011 04:43 am

I believe Casey's sexual abuse trauma began to peak after Cayley's death, and since becoming imprisoned she has been experiencing repressed memories that at this stage are culminating falsely as George being the perpertrator. In time it will become apparent who did abuse Casey. One thing I have no doubt about Dave, is that someone severely molested Casey. When Tony testified today it was evident to me that Casey had given him a little information about a sexual abuse allegation against her brother Lee, and by his own admission Tony was ill equipped to deal with that information. No doubt this shut Casey down. To the point that she said Lee only attempted to abuse her, whereas we may hear testimony in the trial from other witnesses stating Casey told them Lee actually abused her. I agree whole heartedly with you about something being a little off with George. He isn't a good communicator, but there's something more. The other witnesses were clear, concise and honest in my opinion. The trial so far has me admiring many aspects of how the defense and prosecution are performing. Looking forward to seeing Jesse Grund testify, he's such a lovely young man, and im very curious as to what lee may say about the sexual abuse allegations levelled at him. Kudos as always Dave for your articles.

May 27, 2011 05:46 am
 Posted by  memyselfandI

Dave: I believe George is lying. His daughter gets knocked up and he would have us believe that he was thrilled at the prospect of being a grandfather. Say what? She had zero employment skills, slept around and was a known liar and he is happy that his lil girl is about to be a mother? All of that doesn't add up--unless he is some hillbilly, which he doesn't seem to be.

Then for two years he couldn't figure out his daughter didn't have a job, and he was a former detective? Come on. She was so cash poor that she didn't have money for gas, hence the reason she stole it from him, yet somehow she could afford a nanny. He was a doting granddaddy, yet didn't know in whose care casey was leaving caylee every workday.

Look, Caylee was a train wreck, and he knew it. There may have been some denial and delusion on his part because he had a role in her derailment.

Casey fits the profile of an abused child: denial, delusion, narcissism, emotionally numb; she used her body to get men's attention, to keep a man and control him. She knew no other way.

The picture I'm seeing of Casey, based on testimony of boyfriends and friends, is of someone who wanted to be like them. They were in college and having fun, planning trips and living care free lives. They had plans for the future. They had possibilities. She had Caylee. Everything else in her life was a delusion, including her relationships with her peers. She didn't really belong, but she wanted to fit in. If only she could. Why couldn't she be like them?

The answer was Caylee.

Casey will take the stand, and when she does it's going to get ugly. The train will wreck right there in front of Judge Perry and a flabbergasted jury. By the time Casey goes up the jury will have doubts about George and Cindy as parents. They are an odd pair. I don't know if Lee is on the witness list, but Baez shouldn't pass up the opportunity to drag him into the dirt, too.

Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a wild ride.

May 27, 2011 07:26 am

I don't Think that Jose is as dumb as some have thought. He isn't brilliant by any means, but I think he has a few tricks we haven't seen yet. I think George didn't call Casey and ask about the gas cans because the lock had been broken on the shed which is something she normally didn't do and also there had been some break ins in the neighborhood and he thought it could have been that. People have been known to climb over fences to get into others back yards. I also think that Cindy would have been after him had he confronted Casey like she has in the past. That is part of the reason I think Casey is the way she is. When George went to Sports Authority to check if she worked there and found out she didn't he wanted to confront her on that but Cindy put a stop to that. I was glad to see at the end of yesterday that Tony said that it wasn't sexual abuse that Casey said George did and I hope that isn't allowed to come in from Tony. I feel for George now because of how this is playing out. I just hope that he can stay calm on the stand and not let Baez push his buttons. Casey didn't like when Melissa England told the jury what Casey said about being a good liar. I think that will hold good strength with the jury. I think Jesse Grund and Amy Huizenga will play a big part as witnesses. I wonder if the science will be challenged as much now since this case has turned into a sexual abuse, George helped hide the body, the family are liars, etc.? I am glad to see Frank George taking a part in this case. In all the hearings we had prior to this trial I kept wondering what he would be doing during the trial because we didn't hear very much from him, but now we know that he is a very good prosecutor. I don't think we are done seeing the twists and turns in this case. Thanks for giving us this article and for having us think a little on this one about the cast of characters and how they will play out. Thanks for this great article and your hard work. It is appreciated!

May 27, 2011 07:33 am

Beginning with Guardian Angel, we all know Casey to be a pathological liar, yet you believe that she told her mother that Lee abused her and her mother called her a whore? Why would you believe that ever happened? Because a pathological liar said so in a prison letter? It's one thing to cry abuse to friends in order to garner attention and sympathy, but I feel almost 100% sure she never said that to Cindy and that Cindy will say so on the stand. I don't believe she was ever abused by anyone. Some people just turn into sociopathic, narcissistic liars because there is something wrong with them, and NOT because the parents or anyone else made them that way.

I just cannot believe all of the people willing to put any belief in this bag of BS that the defense is trying to sell. And Dave, I think the only thing wrong with George is what he has lived through with the two women in his family for years and years, and then his life falling apart beginning on July 15, 2008. As for the stupid gas cans, Casey had previously poured gas into her car and then put the gas cans back. The lock had never been broken and the gas cans completely gone before. How hard is that to understand? Why are you seeming to buy into George is hiding something? Are you just playing devil's advocate?

May 27, 2011 07:40 am

I think George is telling the truth. Some have said they think something is off about him, but the truth as he tells it is not offering him any advantages, so there is no reason for him to be lying. In fact it's hurting his daughter, so there is more reason for him to lie, but he is brutally honest to the point of hurtng Casey's defense, so again why do people think he is lying? I don't get it. I don't think he is shady I think he is heartsick about his daughter's accusations and trying the best he can to be honest, but also is aware of the fact that everything he says could be another nail in her coffin. Who could function normally on Live TV under that kind of pressure?
I don't think Casey fits the role of being abused, but more of the role of a girl who acts out under the influence of alcohol and drugs. She wanted to party all the time, it's just that simple,she would do anything for that next party, even probably lock her daughter in the trunk so she could. She got caught, and now she has to spin a web of lies to cover it all up. What's new about that? It's how she coped with a 2 yr old; it worked for her. She couldn't ask her parents to watch to Caylee, because she had no valid excuse they would approve of, she used those excuses all up long before. So, she found a way to keep on partying it up, and we all know the outcome.
It' amazing to me how the defense can plant other ideas in people's minds and for those of you who are having doubts about George, Lee, and Kronk, it's just what Baez is counting on. I am not buying it for one minute.

May 27, 2011 08:55 am
 Posted by  Bob

Dave:

Cluster bombing is a proven way to hurt at least one target while damaging many. The defense has sickened many while hurting the prosecution's "without a reasonable doubt" duty.

I think I've learned how Baez got the "gig": He was chasing an ambulance and stopped when he saw all the satellite trucks in front of the Anthony home. This opens a whole new class of attorneys trolling for business.

May 27, 2011 09:25 am

Here's what I don't get about Jose's focus on "follow the duct tape". If Casey had access to everything in the house, the garage and the shed, wouldn't she ALSO have access to the duct tape?

And if George used the duct tape on Caylee, would he then have kept it around to hang posters (and hang himself) - I don't think so.

George used that duct tape on the gas can and the posters because at that point he had no clue that Casey had used it to cover Caylee's mouth and nose.

Julie

May 27, 2011 10:53 am

Anon 8:33 am~ITA

Anon 10:25 am~ good point! I just wonder what happened to that roll of duct tape once it was found out that it could be a match to the tape found on the remains. LE sure didn't find it when searching the home. And, the photo of it on the KF's table shows there was at least a half roll left. Hmmm...

Its nice to see that the kids grew up and got on with their lives. I think this tragic event that touched their lives uninvited had alot to do with it if not everything to do with it.

Comments, page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4  ··· 7 Next »