Blogs

May 26, 201112:37 AM

Defense Confuses While State Defuses

After George Anthony took the stand yesterday in what amounted to the state's defusing a very confusing opening statement by the defense, the general consensus among many media folks afterward was that Cindy would be the first one up this morning. Then Lee. I didn't believe it for a minute because, in my mind, the state had no choice but to give George the opportunity to defend himself as vigorously as possible. He did, and when he was excused, he walked away with a lot more public respect than he had prior to the start of the trial. He came across as someone who had just about enough of it. He took his life back. No more buses dropping out of the sky. Of course, after the defense's razzle, dazzle, opening statement, Jose Baez was bound to fizzle, and so he did during cross examination. Enough of that, but before I move away from Tuesday, something happened that should change the entire complexion of this trial. The defense announced something so earth-shattering, it blew the hair right off the top of my head! Well, fuzz, anyway. Casey, through Jose, admitted in open court that Caylee died on June 16, 2008. How she died is something that will be argued during the remainder of the trial, but an acknowledgement of her daughter's death, including the date, opened up the floodgates for the state to make a terrific comeback after what was announced in open court. Since Casey admitted the date of death was June 16th, why not put her friends and acquaintances on the stand and pick apart her demeanor after that date? Did she mourn? Was she depressed? Were there any signs of distress? Like a cat on a mouse, Assistant State Attorney Frank George came ready to pounce. One by one, the witnesses for the state testified on Wednesday that Casey showed no signs of remorse. There were no agonizing moments; no hints whatsoever that anything was wrong in her life. No desperation. Just freedom and fun... LET'S PARTY!!!
    One witness really stood out in my mind. No, I don't mean Anthony Lazzaro, but he will, come Round 2 of Baez's cross examination. Maria Kissh was once a girlfriend of one of Lazzaro's roommates, Roy "Clint" House. Now 26, Maria was once a shot girl at Fusian. She was the surprise witness of the day, at least to me. Certainly, she gave similar testimony as everyone else pertaining to Casey's attitude after June 16, but she added an extra ingredient or two. As little as we knew about her before she testified, she knew a thing or two about Casey. After the Hip Hop Showcase Hot Body Contest was held on Friday, June 20, she and Casey spent the night at Lazzaro's apartment with their respective boyfriends. When she got up the next morning, she went to the kitchen where she ran into Casey. She had already met Caylee by then, so it wasn't unusual when she asked Casey where her daughter was. Casey said she was at the beach with the nanny. When asked how much she pays her, Casey said $400 per week. She asked her about Caylee's dad and her living situation. Her father is dead and her parents are moving out within the next several months and giving her the house. Yes, we've heard it all before, but I think it was incredible that she collected so much information in a matter of a few minutes of one-on-one conversation. There seemed to be a certainty with Casey, though. She never had trouble opening up, especially when dispensing lies. It's as if she savored the moments she got something over on someone, like playing a game. One of the things Maria found odd about Casey was that, with the responsibilities of motherhood, she spent so much time at the apartment without Caylee.
    Certainly, there was a bevy of personal testimony on Wednesday, with plenty more to come on Thursday, I'm sure. The last man in her life, Mr. Anthony Lazzaro - in the flesh - was the final person to take the stand. I'll bet you that by the time he walks out of that courtroom and heads back to New York, we're going to know a little more about Casey. Kick it up a notch. One thing I noticed about him was his coolness. He stood his ground. He came across as a dude who would like to rid himself of the memories of her, a sad, sad chapter in a life filled with promise. This is something he'll carry with him forever, and I don't blame him for moving away from Orlando. I've got to say one thing about him. At least he left town with his integrity intact.
    On Wednesday, Frank George chewed up and spit out the angry tirade of superfluous fluff that spewed out during the defense's opening statement. As much as Jose Baez did to add an element of doubt; that Caylee's death was a horrible accident -- there's absolutely no way the jury is not going to have second thoughts about what really transpired nearly three years ago. Oh, she may escape the death penalty, but I guarantee she will never walk out of the Orange County Courthouse arm-in-arm with Cheney Mason, as he once bragged. Mark my words.
    I have just one more thought about the day, and it's based on observations in the courtroom. If you think no one is paying much attention to what transpires, guess again. I try to pick up on little details. We all know a defendant is prepped for a trial, such as making a drug addict look like a librarian, but have you noticed anything peculiar about Casey yet? I did, and so did someone else. We talked about it. Look at Casey's position in the courtroom tomorrow. Look at the backs of the chairs beside her. Many office-style chairs have handles under the seats that adjust the height up or down. Casey's seat is set as low as it can go. She looks quite demure compared to Dorothy Sims, who sits on her left. How could a poor, fragile, frail little thing like her hurt anybody? Why, I'll bet you she never, ever bought a knife or gun at Blockbuster as Baez ridiculously asked Lazzaro.

Comments, page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next »
May 25, 2011 11:41 pm
 Posted by  calipatti

Good evening Dave, its earlier here yet I've had hours to get a grip on myself. I was awestruck after opening statements to little befuddled after day 2. This trial is going to be life changing for so many people involed.
For a few it will be a painful blood letting experience and for others a weight will be lifted and their emotional/spiritual freedom regained.
I wish that people involved would see this as an character building opportunity however I am doubtful for some people.

Karma is a lady who has a way of creeping up and smacking those who don't believe in her.
Casey is going to have a more miserable life than would have been ... after what she has said about her father and others.

I sincerely enjoyed this post of yours. Very well done Dave.

May 26, 2011 12:39 am

Hi Dave - thanks for the article but some fact checking, please!

Maria Kissh was not going out with Nathan, her boyfriend was Clint.

Maria Kissh was not a shot girl, she stated so herself in open court.

Maria Kissh said that Casey told her she paid her nanny $400 a week not $40 a week.

I understand you are probably reporting on the run and it must be hard to attend court everyday but there has to be accuracy in your reporting. Respectfully asking if you can fix your errors as soon as possible. Maybe an update every second day would allow you to take the time for research so you can accurately report on events rather than rushing the articles out? Anyway, keep up the good work.

May 26, 2011 03:10 am

Casey told Maria she pays the babysitter $40 per week? Please, Dave - do some fact checking or at least proof read. Sheesh - this is how rumors get started. The amount she stated she paid was $400.00, not 40.00.

May 26, 2011 04:26 am

Hi, from Lisa in Florida: I just wanted to point out a typo in your article. You wrote: When asked how much she pays her, Casey said $40 per week. Maria Kissh testified that Casey paid the nanny $400 a week, not $40 a week. Here is a link to her transcript, and I believe I also heard her say $400 or $450 on the stand. http://www.thehinkymeter.com/Library/CMA/interviews/mkissh071708.pdf

May 26, 2011 04:50 am
 Posted by  Dave Knechel

Hello Cali Patti - The testimony ofCasey's former friends, acquaintances and, certainly, Anthony Lazzaro was very, very compelling and telling. The lack of any emotions or mourning over Caylee's death will go a long way with this jury. Heck, it would with any jury. Casey is never going to be able to explain this one away. There's no doubt in my mind she will be convicted, but I'm not yet sure of what. If the jury has any doubts about it somehow being an accident, it will change the outcome dramatically. Thanks for enjoying the post.

May 26, 2011 04:58 am
 Posted by  Dave Knechel

Anonymous (12:39 am) - You are right and I stand corrected. After rechecking my notes, I did write the right information down, but I'll tell you, by almost midnight last night, my mind wasn't as clear as it was earlier in the day. Thank you, I really appreciate your alerting me to the error.

May 26, 2011 04:59 am
 Posted by  Dave Knechel

Anonymous (4:10 am) - I did write down $40 because that's exactly what I thought I heard, but after checking out other sites, it looks like $400 gets the nod. My apologies, and thank you for setting the record straight. Maybe my ears aren't what they used to be, but at least they're not as bad as Mason's. Yet.

May 26, 2011 05:50 am

"Why, I'll bet you she never, ever bought a knife or gun at Blockbuster." Brilliant, Dave!

What the blazes was all of that about? "Did she purchase duct tape at Blockbuster?" "Did she buy a gun at the mall?" "Did she talk about murdering..." Has any defense attorney EVER put on such a display of absolute idiocy as Baez did with this line of questioning?

May 26, 2011 05:53 am
 Posted by  dadgum

morning Dave..
There does seem to be acoustic issues in that courtroom. I am still appalled at the defense opening, in view of the doctors who interviewed Casey were removed from the witness list by defense. I sense something afoot, or won't Casey have to take the stand? Or can you really just say anything in court?

Thank you for being there for us..I heard the gallery is no longer full, now that the 'talking heads' on TV think Baez is some sort of genius. When will mason speak, other than to accuse the news folk of assaulting a senior citizen. Did he mean Baez?? He was the one who was bumped..

May 26, 2011 06:50 am

Hi Dave, Anonymous (12:39 am) here, thank you for fixing those errors, however, one remains, Maria Kissh said that she was NOT a shot girl, could you please correct this?

I don't know if I sound picky but I just believe the correct facts, as testified in court, should be report on.

It would be nice if one media outlet got things right.

Keep on keeping on - look forward to many more reports on your days in court.

Comments, page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next »