The Sad End of a Saga

"Once upon a time..." No, I can't begin this story that way since it could never end with, "... and they lived happily ever after."
    It was three years ago when we heard the news that an attractive, young woman named Casey Anthony claimed that her 2-year-old daughter had been kidnapped 31 days before she told anyone about it. The public’s reaction to Casey’s story was nearly universal–total disbelief: Why would a mother not notify police immediately after her child was abducted? Because of the shocking nature of the story, the disappearance of Caylee Marie Anthony and the subsequent first-degree murder charge against her mother made headlines everywhere, and Casey soon became one of the most vilified persons in the free world.
    In the mid-1990s, we watched the O.J. Simpson saga unfold on national TV. In the early 2000s, Scott Peterson took center stage on television as the Internet was emerging as a news source and social network. By 2008, the Internet had firmly established itself as the go-to conduit for information, making almost every aspect of the Casey Anthony case accessible to the general public. Of course, Florida's Open Government and Public Records laws certainly played a part in making the case a pubic spectacle, as police and court records were disseminated by both the mainstream media and nontraditional news sources, like bloggers and celebrity-tabloid websites. Add to that explosion of instantaneous information the popularity of TV talking heads like Nancy Grace and the influence of Twitter and Facebook and you get a 24/7 cycle of news and opinion, with the former often usurped by the latter.
    When I entered the Internet phase of the saga, three months after it exploded, I tried to bridge news and opinion on my blog, marinadedave.com. Living near Orlando, I could go to most of the areas mentioned on the news -- Suburban Drive, Jay Blanchard Park and many of Casey's old haunts. I could talk to some of the key people in the case, too. The more I wrote about the case, the more my audience grew, making my blog a prime target for people who had very strong opinions about Casey, her family and Jose Baez. Because of the ever growing opinions and flaring tempers, I had to set rules. No name calling, for instance. Baez was not going to be called Bozo on my blog. Cindy was not SINdy. I was not going to allow a third-grade mentality to ruin what had begun a respectful exchange of information and opinions. Unfortunately, by banning some readers from my site, I only infuriated them more, with them taking their anger out on me.  To this day the haters still taunt and haunt me. But I made some wonderful friends since I began writing about the case, and the experience of blogging about it has been mostly positive.
    If there is anything that makes me feel my work could be all for naught it is that no one will be held accountable for Caylee’s tragic demise.  I had hoped that in some small way I could help bring justice for her.
    Still, her loss will not be in vain.  Caylee lives among us today, in our hearts and memories. She has spawned an Internet community that can never forget that, in its eyes, she was victimized twice – by a suspected killer and by a jury.  To those who feel that way, keep up the good fight on behalf of children caught in horrible circumstances. As my way of honoring Caylee, my blog will include posts about child-safety issues and “the missing.”

Please limit comments to the blog’s subject matter. Comments containing profanity and/or personal attacks will not be published.

Comments, page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Next »
Jul 11, 2011 08:58 am

In a way, the "unhappy ending" was the truly beginning.
So continue the search Dave, it cant get any worse.

Jul 11, 2011 09:06 am

''...keep up the good fight on behalf of children caught in horrible circumstances... I owe it to Caylee to continue searching for the truth, even when that means it won’t yield a happy ending.''

We all do Dave, we all do!

Thanks for being there these past three years... thanks for continuing on!

Sara Jane - IN Parent

Jul 11, 2011 10:02 am
 Posted by  guardianangel

Dave, this saga has put me in mind of a big earthquake and we will be getting after shocks for some time to come.

Here are a few examples: Jury #12 is in hiding.

Juror #12 is a red-haired woman in her 60's.

Juror number 12 left Florida. Her husband, fighting back tears, tells NBC News he’s not sure when she’ll return to her home in Florida.

Why? He says she fears half of her co-workers want her head on a platter.

Another (the jury foreman) holds out for money and has an interview scheduled with Greta tonight. I believe he was holding out for 5 figures in compensation.

One other jury got a trip to Disney for an interview.

Here is a link to Cheney Mason on the Today show.

Dave, thanks for all you do and I am glad you will continue with what you do best and that is to keep us informed. See you at MarinadeDave.com

Jul 11, 2011 10:09 am
 Posted by  Carole

You have done an extremely good job keeping your readers informed to the events surrounding this case. You are to be commended for your time and efforts. You were able to break down some of the confusing aspects of the case so that your reading public did not have to feel left out by not understanding some of the aspects of this very sad case.

After the verdicts were read I felt like so many others.....RAGE......ANGER.....DUMBFOUNDED......CONFUSED......
AND WANTING TO GET REVENGE!!

After having to come to my senses I have finally come to the conclusion that life will NOT be easy for casey! She might make a few bucks and a few friends, but, she is in debt already for her back taxes, for any court costs that are levied on her......and as she goes back to her old ways she will get caught with her hand in someone's wallet, or checking account. She will continue with her lies and the only friends she MAY find will be those who want to ride on her coat tail for the publicity she can generate.

She can also dye her hair, wear contacts to change her eye color, however she will not be able to hide. Wherever she decides to settle down there will be mothers who will remember the "tot mom" as Nancy Grace so aptly called her.

No, she will not live a good life, at least not one where she was supported and allowed to steal from her parents and others without any consequences. NO, her life will change and not for the better.

So, I am feeling not so bad now. Karma is a b-tch!

I will go back to my wonderfully sane retired life with kids and grandkids and great-grandkids that love their mom and dad. And a cute and funny furry dog that is so happy that mom and dad are not still sitting in front of the tv!

I look forward to anything that you continue to write about and hope to see that BOOK some day!!

And after reading GUARDIANANGEL above, I still have a news story where mason declares that casey was GUILTY! This, of course, AFTER he was brought on to the defense team???

Jul 11, 2011 10:14 am
 Posted by  KarenC

Ever Onward! BTW, I wonder if you might care to re-post or re-visit your scenario (I forget the name of the post at present)- the one where you lay out what you think CA did and what she was thinking moment-by-moment when she killed Caylee. It would be interesting to see what, if any, changes to it you might make in lieu of new known facts, etc. Although your video clips brought me to your original blog on this case, that was the post that kept working on my mind when I thought about what could have happened. I know you're wrapping things up here but it would be really neat to see that brought back to the regular blog- you have a lot of new readers now that might appreciate it.
Truth will Out. Keep on helping it, though!

Jul 11, 2011 10:24 am

Thanks, Dave. Very classy. And yes, let's all do something positive for children who need our help/support/protection.

Jul 11, 2011 11:08 am
 Posted by  frankie

Dave, You are right. At least some good things came out of this experience. Maybe Caylee;s Law and the growing interest in murdered, missing, lost and exploited children. We all made some good friends too. Thanks for all you have done for your readers over the last three years. When one door closes another opens. We are not happy with the ending of the trial but it's not over by a long shot. Casey will get what she deserves at some point. It's just a matter of time. At least that's how I have to think so that I can get past my disappointment over this trial verdict.

Jul 11, 2011 11:25 am
 Posted by  Dave Knechel

I'm taking care of some personal matters right now that I left dangling while I attended the trial. I'll be back soon, but I want you to know I'm not ignoring anyone.

Jul 11, 2011 11:48 am
 Posted by  sunshine5241

Dave you will be missed by all of us!!!
To me Casey is another Oswald The whole world Hates her and will Forever. They will Never forget her. The reason the people are upset with the jurors is they Did Not to there job!!! They owed it to us to render an educated punishment to protect the public. This is No Joke, this was a very inportant job for them to do!! They took very little notes & when it was time they Never Took them in with them!!!! They didn't study the evidence, My god they didn't even Look at the evidence. What does this tell us. They were all there for the show!!!! I feel there names and faces should be released. If they did there job then What are they Afraid of. If I was any of them I would be looking over my shoulder for a Long Long time. People are Angry. I am Angry and it is all because they let a KILLER go free!!! This poor little girl named Caylee didn't matter at all to any of them. For that reason alone I hope they are Taunted for a Long time. I am hearing on the news the jurors are now saying they didn't hear everything, PLEASE they heard enough and had enough evidence to show Casey was responable for the lost of her daughter!!! Where was Caylee when Casey was out doing her thing?? Where was she??? That alone tells me who killed her and they know it too!!!

Jul 11, 2011 11:48 am
 Posted by  sunshine5241

Dave you will be missed by all of us!!!

Comments, page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Next »